According to the press release on Thurmond’s Inauguration:
Thurmond’s plan for improving schools includes lifting California from the bottom end of per-student spending to the top end. “Providing more money to our schools helps our students, our communities, and our economy. But most of all it helps create a bright future for our state,” he said.
His plan also includes the following:
- Keeping schools safe by reducing gun violence.
- Providing school-based mental and physical health services to ensure that students get the care they need and come to school healthy, alert, and ready to learn.
- Expanding access to early education and after school programs to help reduce the achievement gap.
- Making college and career pathways accessible to all students.
- Alleviating the teacher shortage so that all schools have highly trained and certified teachers.
- Improving the type of student data available to allow better research and analysis of student learning.
- Renewing our commitment to helping English learners acquire the language skills they need rapidly, while retaining their native language.
Watch the recording of State Superintendent Thurmond’s Inauguration Ceremony below: